Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Birds near and far

At dusk last night I was thrilled to see the cardinal parents feeding a fledgling out in my backyard. As mom and dad were seeing to her needs, three adolescent males - likely from an earlier brood - came to check out my flower bed and feast on lantana berries. They were a motley group, not fully red. They squabbled over the berries but they seemed to be evenly matched. Everyone got their share.
While this is happening here in Austin, 2000 miles away my ex-husband is hosting a robin's nest in the ficus tree on his back porch. She's not camera shy as you can see.
Mom picks the perfect spot

And lays her eggs

She patiently broods

The babies are here!

First meal from mom.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I popped on! How miraculous! Awesome photos Julia, really:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the robin babies! I don't seem to see too many robins, just the occasional one, up here in northwest Austin. We get a lot of cardinals and finches, though. You have such cute dogs -- my dogs seem to invade my garden and my blog posts all the time! I call them "mulchers and tramplers."

    ReplyDelete