Sunday, February 8, 2009

Today is the first day of…



…the rest of my garden; the rest of my life and so on. I'm in a state of change right now. I guess I always am but I'm aware of it these days. In the last week I've started a bunch of new things, all positive, self-nurturing endeavors - this blog being one of them.
Recently I made a mobile from some items I've been gathering. It's made of sun-bleached bones, a big stick, a bell made in India and a little dragonfly paperweight. On my hike thru Stephenson Preserve (SP) today I picked up stuff for future mobiles or assemblages.
I go to that preserve regularly. It's near my house and I love walking there. Few people go beyond the first part of it so I usually have the trails to myself. Today I found an area that was new to me. The SP sculptor had been there though. Attached to trees were masks made of found objects. I didn't have my camera along so you'll have to take my word that they were a little creepy. The masks looked like the kind of things that tribal people post to warn trespassers they are on sacred ground. I stood still, listening as the trees scraped against each other in the strong winds, sounding like wind chimes. I will definitely revisit the spot. I didn't have my GPS with me but I memorized the route thru the maze of trails back to main trail.

Earlier today I grabbed my friend Kathleen and we went over to the Natural Gardener. I got some really great ideas for my yard and I picked up some rosemary and lavender plants. I can't make much progress on my big yard plan until March since I'm going to be out of town for most of the last two weeks of February. But I had a spot for the herbs so they're in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment